Nathan Fillion and the several members of the cast from ABC’s Castle blew the roof off Comic-Con early Sunday afternoon.
Following in line with last year’s panel when the first scene of the Season 3 premiere was shown, a glimpse of the opening from the upcoming season was screened for the crowd.
The big question that was left after the finale was: Is Kate Beckett actually dead? “I know, I know. It hurts right here,” Fillion said of Beckett’s unknown state, placing his hand near his heart.
“It was very emotional the whole day,” actress Tamala Jones said of Season 4’s opening scene. “My friend is dying and I’m trying to help save her. … The whole outcome is really going to be more epic than the season finale, I think.”
“Everyone had blood on their hands and we had to sit there … I couldn’t fix my hair,” Fillion joked, with both elbows propped up. “We’re just sitting there looing like we’re going into surgery or getting out of it. I couldn’t read my book: Game of Thrones.”
What can people expect in Season 4? A special Halloween episode, which will be Ghostbusters-themed. In the second episode of the new season, there’s going to be one “with a bit of a superhero theme. I thought that might excite you, it excites me.”
An audience member asked about Beckett and potential replacements. “Did you hear about this? They were looking at Ashton Kutcher for [Beckett's] replacement,” Jones joked about Beckett. “Guys, too soon but so funny,” Fillion responded.
Here are some other notable soundbites from the entertaining panel:
* “Typically if you’re going to be on a TV show with me, you can look forward to cancellation,” Fillion joked.
* The death of Captain Roy was hard on the cast. “To lose this person who was like a mentor was pretty hard,” Jon Huertas said. “It was a pretty sad day when we found out he was getting shot.” Seamus Dever added: “I now have no one to talk theater with … We miss him tremendously. … We had two months to think of what [that] was. … What you saw in the finale wasn’t really acting … We were saying goodbye to Reuben.”
* Molly Quinn: “She’s going to be voicing a lot of her opinions, how she feels … he’s enjoying chasing down killers … I don’t know if Alexis is too happy about that.”
Fillion: “You’ve heard about the terrible teens.”
Quinn: “I’m the adult on this set.”
* “I was eating that and I got sick,” Fillion said of the s’morelette. “I’m not sure where your tastebuds are located. That wasn’t very good,” Quinn joked.
* The 3XK storyline will continue in the new season. “This is a nice seed that’s been planted for the future so I think we’re going to see a crime being committed and Ryan’s gun being used,” Dever said. “I think it’s an innocent person getting killed. … We’ll see the return of that storyline and a nemesis for Castle.”
* In the X-Files episode, Fillion noted that if “you look closely, you will find a giant or small X in nearly every scene.”
* It was teased that Castle’s dad will finally be seen this season. So who did the cast think was perfect for the role? Some suggions: Ken Howard (Huertas), Christopher Walken (Jones), Dwight Howard (Dever). “I was talking to Susan [Sullivan] and she said, ‘What if I was Castle’s dad?’ ”
* Quinn was dressed up as Captain Mal Reynolds. “Oh my god, I just noticed what Molly was wearing,” Fillion said during the panel.
* Fillion arrived in style, ascending from the ground up when he was introduced.